Thursday, October 4, 2012

Meet Scally-Wag

Scally-Wag is my new baby scaly-breasted lorikeet. I found him.
I was sitting outside soaking up some sun one morning when some lorikeets flew past, and one flopped out of a tree and landed on the ground not far from me. So I got up and went to check that it was ok. His parents had been trying to teach him how to fly but his wing muscles weren't up to the challenge, not to mention he had no tail feathers (and still doesn't).
So I picked him up and put him in a spare cage we have lying around. I'm just glad I got to him before a hawk did! His parents came and visited him a few times but they have stopped now that they know he's safe and happy.
He learned very quickly how to hop onto your finger when you offer it to him. He's never bitten and has become as tame as any hand-reared bird. He loves kisses and snuggling and going for walks around the garden on your shoulder. He has his own brand new cage now, which is the same colour green as he is!
We've had him for just over a month. He still cant fly and still has no tail feathers, so I guess we're stuck with him. Not that I'm complaining....

5 comments:

Sandi said...

Aww...what a little sweetie! A lovely companion to keep you company.

quilterliz said...

G'day Amanda. He is just gorgeous.Good on you for looking after him. You will have a faithful companion now.He was very lucky that you were outside at the time he fell from the tree. Take care. Liz...

Jo in TAS said...

Oh is adorable, he's lucky he has you to care for him!

Jennifer Rose said...

awww, he is cute :) gorgeous green colour!
(can you keep him, did you have to let anyone know you have him?)

val said...

he is lovely! Amazing how God puts creatures in the path of the ones he knows will care for them....